Tuesday, September 2, 2014

FOOTBALL IS BACK!


Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, it’s that time of year again. The leaves are starting to change (look east if you don’t believe me), the morning air is a little crisper, and kids are back in school; this can only mean one thing: Football is back! Yes kids the English Premier League is back in full force. EVERTON! EVERTON! EVERTON! Oh, sorry I forgot this is America and we only care about soccer every four years.

While I do like soccer, it’s fourth on the list behind baseball, football and hockey, this is America and we like our violence and spectacle that is Football. This is the time of year that every team in the NFL starts at zero and thank the Lord for that because after that joke of a stupid Super Bowl last year the Broncos better redeem themselves. For hells sakes, did they even want to be there? No defense, Wes Welker and Eric Decker disappeared, Peyton “I’m not Elway” Manning couldn’t do it on his own, and horrible special teams. Run game, what a fetching (sorry we saw Saturday’s Voyeur for the first time on Sunday so I’m saying fetch and heck all week in honor of it) joke, there was no run game. Sorry I started the blog in March and I didn’t have the proper venue to express my frustrations on the state of the Super Bowl until now. Thank you for allowing me to get nine months of frustrations off my chest.

But this is Utah and while most of the state is either Broncos fans (closest team and we get 90% of the games locally) or 49ers fans (Steve Young? BYU? Duh.) and most recently Seahawks fans (hmmmmm Bandwagon), we are all about college football. Heck, (see I told you heck and fetch) even Utah State is starting to get better; the drubbing by Tennessee this Sunday is not evidence of this. So it’s the 2nd day of September and everyone is optimistic about their teams.

Utah State has Keaton and plays in the Mountain West, so they are in a bowl already.

BYU. Oh BYU. Our dear, dear neighbors down south. What do we say about you? It’s September so you already have a national championship on the way, and a Heisman Trophy candidate in Hill. You may get to 11 wins this year (it would have been 10 but you don’t play Utah this year. Zing!) but alas you will still be in the Miami Coconut Oil Silicone bowl or whatever it’s called this year.  I respect the Cougs and what they have done over the years. It’s hard to recruit the type of students they the Y requires and still win on a consistent basis. So that I respect, but that’s about it. I know all Utes fans are drunken louts who only care about being in the PAC12 and nothing else so I guess I won’t lump all Y fans together with the arrogant blue hairs that make up a majority of the fan base. There are some good Y supporters out there so I’m sorry for some of the words above (only some not all).

Then of course, there are the Utes. While the Y lives off of their National Championship from 30 years ago, the U is still hung-over from the Fiesta bowl in 04 and the Sugar bowl in 08 and now we have the PAC12. It’s a sad state of affairs when I talk to people this year and the consensus is 6-7 wins is a victory this year. I agree that with this schedule and the non-automatic win over the team down south, 6 wins is tough and 7 dang (see I slipped a dang in there) near impossible. I know I’m supposed to be patient but I am tired of being patient. I knew they wouldn’t take the PAC12 by storm and compete right away but I’m supposed to be happy with 6-7 wins?  


Sorry done ranting. Back to the positive. It’s football season. Time for tailgates, wearing red on Friday’s, hot coco and hot coffee later in the year, Connor going to the restroom 5 times a game, walking up and down the stairs and Rice-Eccles more than five time a game to accommodate Connor and Alex’s restroom and food requests. Here’s to Utah Man, not Utah Fan, I will never sing Utah Fan it’s stupid and it should never have changed. Here’s to late November home games that we will freeze at but enjoy anyway. Here’s to crashing the in-laws during every Ute away game because we don’t have the PAC12 Network. Here’s to the drums that they play after the third quarter at every home game (YouTube it. It’s fun) and finally here’s to family time during the fall. Every Saturday we are able to get together as a family to enjoy each other and some football (ok Mandy tolerates it but she goes because the boys love it) every week. Ahhhhh I love football


And apparently its time for me to work on my selfie skills. Next time I need to cut out all of my face to improve the picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment