Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Stupid alarm clocks


After the incident with our A/C a couple of weeks ago, you would think that I would have been better prepared for failures of modern conveniences. Say like the electricity going out in our house, but alas I was not.

The past week or so, we have had storm after storm after storm. Last Friday we had a hell of a storm. Lightning that filled the whole house, thunder that shook the very foundation of your soul. Mandy and I were on the front porch watching most of this until we had a lightning strike that was a little too close for our comfort. Have you ever been so close to a strike that you can feel the heat off the lightning? Well, now we can say we have and the thunder that hit immediately after seriously hurt my ears it was so close. After we came inside and the storm subsided somewhat, the power went out. We have had power bumps here in the past but in the three years of living here, never had it go out for a prolonged period of time, especially four hours. Power comes back on and I set to task resetting all the clocks, ok not all just my alarm clock. I’ll get the both boys rooms in the morning I told myself. Yup, you know where this is heading.

Fast forward to Monday morning; I’m wake up, stretch look at the clock that says 610, think to myself, “whohoooo I slept in on a weekend.” Then it hits me, that’s its Monday and you’re running late. I got up, showered, shaved and got dressed in a record time that I was certain that would never be broken. I had set my alarm but forgot to reset the time so it was set to go off at noon. Well, as I’m getting myself coffee I realize the boys aren’t stirring. That’s about the time Mandy flies down the hall to wake the boys up because I forgot to; A) reset the time on their clocks and B) reset the alarms. Everyone got to school and work on time but again Andrew struck again on Tuesday.

Monday night we had more storms. Thunder that was so close that it literally knocked bottles over that were standing on our kitchen counters. I maybe got three hours of sleep total. So when Mandy’s alarm on her phone went off at 630 and woke me up, I thought crab another power outage. Nope, I forgot to set the stupid, frickin, no good, gosh darned, dash it all alarm (editor’s note. This is a family blog so the actual language used yesterday morning has been edited. Heavily). That record time that I set Monday morning? Yeah I beat it handily on Tuesday. I am happy to report that last night there were no storms and that I woke up at my normal time and everything is kosher and right in the world.

 

Editor’s note. I now have a backup alarm on my phone. Just in case.  

No comments:

Post a Comment