Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Knife candunct Knife candunct


Yesterday, the boys started scouts back up. Yes, it’s time for Cub Scouts. That magical time of year learning about knives, camping, soap carving, knives, first aid, knot tying, knives and some other stuff also. Rest assured, Alex and his friends are all about learning how to better use their pocket knives this year. They learned the basic safety and handling last year. They learned about blood circles, (yes it’s a real thing), how to hand off a knife to a fellow scout and all the ins and outs about knives. It’s a boy thing and he is excited to learn more.  In honor of scouts starting I bring you this week’s laundry pic.

Like I said, pocket knives are a boy thing. Both of my grandfather’s always carried one, as far back as I can remember, they just always had one. I have carried one off and on since after high school (no way I could have carried one in school. Even then people would have freaked out). I’ve lost some going through security at airports (I’ve also inadvertently carried them through security also). I’ve lost one in a pond. I even broke the tip on one using incorrectly. And now Alex and I have done the same thing to a knife: put one through the clothes washer.

Clothes in a dryer make a very distinct sound depending on the clothes. When I did Alex’s the other day, it was making its customary, soft, soft, da dunk sound. Clothes, clothes, button hitting side wall. So it can really throw you off when you hear soft, soft, candunct, soft, soft, CANDUNCT. I get up off the couch muttering about Connor and what has he left in his pants this time (there was almost an incident of Pokémon cards going through but Super Dad found them before the drama ensued), then it hit me. This is Alex’s laundry. If you read this blog regularly (or at least as regularly I get off my lazy butt and write) you know that most of these pictures are Connors contributions. Not this time.

I walked in there with a sense of dread of what I might find this time. This was the last thing I thought I would find.

But then, I have done the same thing. Two Christmas’s ago, one of my vendors gave a bunch of us a pretty nice little knife from Browning. The little 3” blade had the Browning logo etched in it and their company logo on it. It was a great little knife. I had it two weeks and I put it through the washer….and the dryer. I was sick. Such a great gift and I ruined it in only two weeks. It wasn’t ruined and in fact I still carry it today, so with that thought in mind, I couldn’t get mad at Alex for leaving this one in his shorts. It was a great learning moment and Klein makes a good knife. The only thing wrong with his knife was that it washed some of the grime off the handle.  

He was distraught it was clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment