Thursday, May 22, 2014

Pass the apple and a first aid kit.


I was outside grilling up some dinner tonight, (hot dogs. Mom’s night out and I got home later than normal. Hot dogs it is) when Connor decided to come out and spend some time with his old man. By spend time with, I mean he ran around, while I cooked.
Stalking his prey.
Here he is reenacting scenes from Hunger Games. No he hasn’t seen the movie or read the book…that much.

It was a fun little moment. Him running around, going down the slide, all while shooting it out with an imaginary bad guy. It was an “I’ll remember always” moments. When I’m gray and old, say 45, I’ll look at Connor (he’ll be 16) and say to him remember when you used to run around with orange 6-shooter we got for you in Disneyland. He’ll say, “Whatever, dad,” and go back to ignoring us. I’ll sigh and lose myself in my “I’ll always remember,” moment.

Sorry, got a little carried away there. Any who, it was when we came inside and the pirate sword came out that I was reminded of one the first, or maybe even the first, Connorism when he was four, that involved this same sword. 
Mandy was at a Mom’s night out (trust me she needs these nights. She is raising three boys after all) and we were having an ultra-healthy meal of frozen pizza and applesauce. I was super ornery that night for some reason and wasn’t taking any gruff from anyone. Well, Connor was being Connor and not listening. He had the Jack Sparrow hat on, cutlass on the hip and was not coming to dinner. Finally after snapping at him repeatedly, he decided to grace his with his presence at the table, with the cutlass. Admitting defeat, I allowed him to keep the sword at the table, but drew a line in the sand (or ranch sauce, it was pizza night) when he put it on the table. I told him, “Connor, no swords at the table. Pirates don’t bring them to the dinner table.” Response, “yes they do Papa. They might have to kill someone….or cut an apple.” I understand, fights can break out at the table and yes, you might have to run someone through for flapping their gums. However, please wash the blood off before you cut up the apple. I was so stunned. He silenced me and Mandy can tell you that is a feat. Alex agreed with Connor so the sword stayed at the table.

 

I know that I mentioned this Connorism in one of my first posts but I didn’t tell the whole story. I snapped this picture tonight I decided to wax nostalgic a little bit. They grow so fast I sometimes miss the little moments that stick with me. This was definitely one of those moments. I had one with Alex tonight also. If I hadn’t already been in this mood, I would have missed it. He needed some milk to help him sleep and he needed Papa for some reassurance after.  Instead of telling him forget it, finish your milk and get back to bed, I was able to put away what I was doing and focus on him. It made him happy. We had a little moment on the couch. Him sipping milk and asking about baseball, ESPN Baseball tonight was on, and him telling me about his day unfettered. It helped him relax and fall asleep. As adults, (I use that term very loosely on myself) we need to release once in awhile and I need to remember better that my boys do also. They have stresses in their day that they need to deal with just like we do, and the little moments such as sliding in the backyard or talking Angels baseball help them like it would help us. 

 I forget about the little things I miss, my “I’ll always remember moments,” that I forget to make new moments. I encourage when you read this to start to make these moments. Put down the book, close the laptop, turn off the tablet, forget about work and focus on the kids. Work can wait, Clash of Clans can wait (oh there is post coming about Clans), checking the Hawks score can wait. I don’t often get this these Hallmark After School Special moments very often but for some reason it hit me hard tonight that I need to slow down and readjust my life focus, because if these little moments can mean so much to me, think about what impression it makes on them.

No comments:

Post a Comment