Monday, May 12, 2014

Moms


I wanted to do a long mushy piece on how much the different Mothers in my life mean to me and how they have influenced me. I wanted to write that up and have it ready for yesterday but I didn’t, so now you get to read today.

First my own mother. My mom was a single mother that worked two jobs through all my junior high and high school days. At that point it was mostly just my little brother (little being relative here, how about younger brother) and I at home. I was not the easiest on her in high school. I was not a bad kid per say but it frustrated her that I did not reach my full potential. She taught me to work hard, don’t complain and no matter how bad your life seemed, there was somebody who was always worse off, so be thankful for what you have. Saturday mornings were always the best time in the house. Before she went to her second job, Mom would wake up and make us homemade biscuits or sourdough pancakes, then go work most of the day. She taught us self-reliance, that no one was coming through the door to whisk all your problems away. Later in life she took care of her father on almost a daily basis. She would rarely go straight home, or if she did it was briefly to let the dogs out, then dart right back to grandpa’s house to help him out. She is one tough lady. All she has done is raise four kids, take care of her father, survive breast cancer and have two knees completely replaced. She must be more machine than flesh now with all those surgeries, how else do you explain her still going to work at age 70. Mom, love you and I hope that I have lived up to what you raised me to be.

Secondly, my dearest mom-in-law.  I knew that Linda and I would get along about the second month Mandy and I were dating. The year was 1998 and I was coming to over to hang out with Mandy, not sure what we were going to do. I do remember her being upset because what we ended up doing was watch Mark McGwire break Roger Maris’s homerun record for most in a single season. Linda and I ended up talking baseball most of the evening, which is when I knew we would be ok with each other. Linda, will do anything for anybody. She is always willing to help out with the boys at a minutes notice and never asks any questions why, just says ok and that is that. Despite the constant grief I always sling her way she always gives it right back and life goes on. I still cannot believe that she allowed me to marry her daughter. I hope that I can continue to be worthy of your daughters hand and I thank you for always being there.

Lastly my dearest bride of almost 15 years; where to begin. Ah, I know where, how about a quick rundown of yesterday morning. The boys, unbeknownst to me, decided to make a road map for her to follow to find her mother day’s gifts. I didn’t ask them to do this; they just took upon themselves to make it.

They get this creativity and giving nature from their Mother. No way would I have thought of that and that is a direct reflection of her. She teaches them self-reliance but does so with a helping hand. She is often the calming influence in the house but by all means, she demands respect without asking for it. She is the first one up in the night if there is a cry or sniffle from one of the boys’ room. She is the one who is lugging boys to baseball practice, baseball games, cello practice, basketball practice, basketball games, dropping off at school and picking up from school. She does all of this while being a real estate agent and volunteering constantly and the school and various real-estate functions. She keeps the house running all while raising three boys (because let’s face it I’m 36 going on 13). I am who I am and I am because of her, without her I am a shell of myself. Oh one more thing, she golfs now. How hot is that?

No comments:

Post a Comment