Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Weekend

Life truly can be overwhelming. Most times I take the littlest hurdle and act like a six year old that was just told no treat after dinner. Something as little my coffee overflowing the cup is enough to send my day in a tailspin. Then there are the days such as this past weekend that recharge my soul. Mandy and I were given the opportunity to sit court side at the Jazz game Friday night.
Not only court side but center court. We had dinner in the Lexus Club before the game.  Crab claws, pork loins, pot roast, cheeses that I could never even pronounce much less tell you what kind they were. Halftime we were allowed to go back for desserts of eclairs, ice cream, key lime poppy seed cake (yes it was as awesome as it sounds), and crepe Suzette's. I'm still not sure what it was but dark chocolate and a peach sauce was involved so I took a chance (twice). 
I kid but really it was an experience that we are both grateful to have done. 
Thank you Bryan and Dawn for allowing us to go. 

Saturday was Mandy working, me working, and dinner with my mom at Arella's in Bountiful. If you've never been there, get the buffalo chicken pepper pasta and thank me later. 

Sunday we finally finished the floor in our bedroom. We have slowly been redoing the floors throughout the house and the master bedroom was the last of the hardwood. Now the boys' rooms with carpet and floors are done. The rest of the day was yard work, basketball, four-square and football.Yes, I said four-square. When was the last time you played four-square? 3rd grade? 4th maybe. I challenge you to take some sidewalk chalk, go to the driveway and get up a game. WARNING! Only do if this if you are prepared to get humiliated by a 9 and 6 year old. Luckily, I am secure enough with myself that I only sulked about losing.
 
The first of highlights was the stalking of woodpeckers in the backyard while we were out there grilling up some dinner.




 The absolute awe that was on both of their faces would have lifted my spirit on the worst of days.
 
The second was subtle but none the less, moving. After grilling, I was attempting to bring all the food and dishes back upstairs to serve. I had already dispatched the boys to wash up. As I was evaluating strategies how to get it all up in one trip, Alex appeared and asked what he could to do help. No prompting, he saw that I was going to struggle and offered to help. Then at dinner, he blew me away. Mandy asked him to say our prayer for dinner. His little prayer hit us like a fly ball in the gut. He said it with so much conviction, it left us both speechless.
 
This is only my second attempt at a blog post and it was lengthy. My point of this is to quote the great Ferris Bueller, "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in awhile, you could miss it." Find joy in the little subtleties of life. Your kids, your spouse, smiling at a stranger, all of those could have some sort of impact that could lift your heart out of the mire (Psalm 40) that is life.
 
Andrew Hedrick March 18, 2014
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment