Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Camping, laundry and Dorito rock


This week’s Laundry picture comes courtesy of me and our camping excursion (ok not excursion, it was to a lake 20minutes away with high six figure homes around them but it was sleeping in a tent, so it was camping) this past weekend.

Some friends of ours asked if we would like to accompany them on a camping trip. Let me pause here. We have not been a camping family in the past. We have sleeping bags but they were $30 Targets specials. We had a tent but it was only used for backyard camping and Alex broke the zipper so it was junked. We had purchased a new tent from Costco a couple of months ago but that was for the purpose of backyard camping and upcoming scout campouts. Mandy and I hadn’t been camping since before we were married. We love to hike, the boys and I love to fish, but camping, hadn’t been done. So when Mandy enthusiastically said yes, I (being the resident family worry wart and party pooper) was a little concerned. We conveyed to our friends that we had no cooking gear and the bear essentials (get it outdoors bear not bare. I kill myself) to go camping overnight, much less the two nights they were proposing. They said just get up here, bring some food and we’ll take care of the rest. Ok, camping on.

To ease my mind Mandy reminded me that we had some really nice sleeping bags stored away at a storage facility, or Mandy’s parents’ house if you want to get technical, ready for our use. We had the new tent to use. They would take care of the cooking; we only had to provide lunch on Saturday (hello sandwiches, no flame involved there).  Mandy was awesome during the week proceeding. With me being a bum and not wanting to go and continually pouting, she packed and arranged almost everything. The only thing I insisted on was a sleeping pad for her, the boys and I could rough it on the ground (my back is still pissed at me for that decision). Car packed, boys loaded, beer in the cooler, bug spray packed, and away we went.

We arrived and setup camp with no issues (marriage survived setting up a tent in the outdoors, check), so we headed down to the lake (reservoir) to scope out the beach. It’s we when arrived on the beach that I realized what a horrible parent I had become. I grabbed some rocks and started skipping them across the water. Alex was enthralled that I could do that and that is when I realized I had a nine year old boy who had never skipped rocks across a lake. That is when I vowed we were going to spend more time in the great outdoors. How could a boy not know how to skip rocks? I had failed as a father. Sure he can fish and knows how to handle a pocket knife but how could I have failed this?

The rest of the trip was a complete success. Well other than the teenage boys that kept us up most of the night in the next camp over and the whole sleeping on the ground thing. I am not in my early 20’s anymore where sleeping with a mound of hard pack earth in the middle of my back is easily overcome the next day. Other than that, camping went off without a hitch. We cooked hotdogs over an open flame. Had some s’mores, pancakes and bacon, enough licorice to drop a horse, chips, instant coffee (bleh), all the food a good campout requires. We spent most of the next day on the beach and in the lake swimming. I had forgotten how fun it was to swim in the great outdoors.
I think I had more fun than the kids did. My friend had brought a wrist rocket that we taught all the kids how to use. Saw a great horned owl in a tree above our camp (sorry pictures didn’t turn out). Connor discovered the pure relaxation of a hammock between two trees.
It was a great overnighter. Two regrets: not taking fishing poles and lack of sleeping pads. Other than that everyone had a great night.

A little story about the rock that came out of the laundry that is pictured above. Saturday morning while all the kids played in the water, Connor was getting in the water, getting out, looking at rocks and bringing us the best looking ones. Alex was getting in the water, getting out, looking at the rocks and skipping the best ones across the lake. Rocks to boys young and old are fascinating for some reason. Like moths to a flame, show a boy a cool rock and he is entranced. I am no exception. I found this rock while watching them play and Connor agreed it was the best rock found on the trip, while Alex said it would skip the best across the water. I sided with Connor and decided to keep the rock, especially after he told me the rock looked like a Dorito.

We are already planning at least two camping trips next year and will start accumulating the proper gear to make it happen. Yes, a good, no a very good sleeping pad will be included in that list.

No comments:

Post a Comment