Monday, June 9, 2014

Sad/Happy Weekend


Another weekend here, another weekend gone. Seriously, where did this one go? I feel gipped.  As always here are some quick hits from this weekend per the Hedrick household.

I have mentioned before that I am on the school board for the boy’s charter school, well President of the school board but no matter, I’m on the board. We had a little board retreat/work session Friday night. So yeah…….moving on to Saturday.

Saturday consisted of yard work, Mandy showing houses and more yard work and ebelskivers.  It was mowing, trimming and weeding. Wait, what is an ebelskivers. I’m glad you asked. An ebelskivers is a traditional Danish pancake in the shape of a sphere as demonstrated here:

And here is Connor demonstrating the proper way to eat said pancake:


Next to Mandy’s homemade biscuits, this is by far the family’s (or at least the males in household) favorite breakfast. We break them apart and put on an assortment of fillings: lemon curd, crab apple jelly, raspberry jelly, honey, honey butter. They are the best. However, they are a colossal pain in the derriere to make and we appreciate them even more because of this. Thanks babe.

Back to yard work, I left off at weed pulling and contrary to what the boys will tell you, it’s ok to make boys pull weeds. It is will not kill them I promise. We did have a little adventure after yard work. Mandy needed to swing by a house she just helped some people purchase, so we tried to do lunch after. Our first choice is a little Mexican joint off of 2700 North in Pleasant View but the sign on the door informed us that due to a power outage we could eat but only a limited menu. Seeing as it was 130 and she had three hungry boys to feed, Mandy decided on TFI Friday’s instead. When I tip a waiter I start at 20% and move up or down from there. It has been a long while since I have only left 10% and it was well deserved. Waited 20 minutes even to see any server, and then it was an I’ll be with you in 2 minutes, that turned into 5. As we were getting up to leave he finally came back and was perplexed as to why we were upset. We received our drinks 10 minutes later, our food came back 25 minutes after that. Food was fine expect mine was a burger not chicken sandwich like was ordered. Not willing to wait the extra hour needed to kill and pluck the chicken I made due with the burger. We would have complained but every server or manager was about the age of 18 we sucked it up and left.

Now comes the sad part of our tale. We have numerous trees in our backyard, upwards of 50. We have 7 cherry trees and one of those is around 18” in diameter and taller than our house. We discovered that three of our cherry trees, including the giant one that shades most of the central yard, has brown rot. From what we’ve read there is no saving them. We are going to research more and call in a professional to see what can be done. It would truly be sad to lose such wonderful trees but hopefully they can be saved.

This concludes our Saturday (there was sprinkler repairs and garden upkeep but it’s always better to leave a story on a sad note or cliffhanger. You just got both. Man I’m good). 
Sunday was a fun day. The family headed down to Ruth’s diner to have breakfast with my mother in law’s cousin and her brood in from Ohio. They were in town to travel to Moab and point’s south but were able to meet them and have a wonderful 2hour breakfast with them. Tony I didn’t thank you in person, so thank you again for breakfast. You and Peggy have four great kids. Enjoy Moab.

Insert family picture here. I have pictures of the families but as a general rule I don’t post pictures of other peoples kids on any social media without their permission and I forgot to ask, so here is one of Connor, “Surviving the tornado.”
The rest of the day consisted of me replacing the rear brakes and rotors on Mandy’s vehicle. Small victory here, I only had to run back to the parts store once (they gave me front brakes instead of rear) and the bigger victory: I only made myself bleed once! And it was a small cut. SCORE! After that is was a small bike ride with Alex, baseball practice in the front yard, helping Connor water Mandy’s flower pots out front and Lego pickup( you thought I was going to go a whole blog without mentioning those damn bricks. You were wrong. They even got more Legos from the Ohio cousins at breakfast. AHHHHHHHHHHH). Well, there it is another exciting weekend. I really do hope we can save these trees.

Baseball picture. It's my blog and I'll post one if I want to. 

No comments:

Post a Comment