Thursday, June 5, 2014

Pink! Not Pink!


Sports people are very superstitious. From fans that think that wearing their favorite Ute Hoodie will spur them to victory over the “team down south”( and it worked the last four years so Ute nation you’re welcome), to players believing that not washing a favorite pair of socks will help you shoot better on the court. Well, baseball players I think are the worst of the lot. Pitchers that will hop over the baseline to and from the mound; others who will step on the baseline to and from the mound; eating the same meal during a hitting streak; I could go on but you get the point. This superstition starts at a young age. When I was growing up playing soccer, I refused to let my mom wash some shorts while we were on a winning streak; to this day it was those shorts and not the play of my teammates that won us all those games. All of this brings us to the laundry pic this week.

My father came to visit us last week and brought the boys a little gift that my stepmother made for them. It was some fun bath towels that had their respective names sewed on them with some little sports logos. They were fun and the boys were very appreciative of the towels. Well, on Saturday I grabbed a load of towels and Alex’s bed sheets to do a quick load of laundry, mostly so they could use their new towels. I grabbed the laundry, dumped them in the washer and let er rip. All was well under I went to put them in the dryer. Did I mention the towels were red? I did mention that Alex’s baseball pants were white, right?
 
Not actual photo of pants. Could not bring myself to take a picture of my failure. The color is no lie, about the same.
I had forgotten that Alex had put his baseball pants straight in the laundry after his game two nights before. If you remember that Wednesday last week, you’ll remember that it was windy as all get out that evening. Dust was flying everywhere and he pitched that night. When he pitches, he grabs dirt and rubs his hands in it, then brushes off his hands on his pants. He had done what I asked him to do. He took his pants off, threw them in the washer and headed straight up to the shower. When in pulled the pants out of the washer I knew the proverbial storm that would follow. Well so much not a proverbial storm but an actual s*@t storm that came next.

“Pink! Papa I am not wearing pink pants. What am I going to do now? I pitched awesome in those pants last game.” Quotes are spot on and I felt not so good with myself. I know the superstitious nature of ball players and I would expect nothing less of my son. The picture above is not the actual pants but the color was not far off. There was no picture because they immediately went back in the washer, with some strip sheets that were now tan, blue and pink, to wash out the color. Well, four washes later and the pink is gone (whew). He did pitch Monday is some loaner pants (thanks Noah and Melissa) and he pitched well but Alex will tell you he hit two batters because he didn’t have HIS pants. And I believe he’s right.  

1 comment: