Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Pssst, Not sure if you know this but this is not big Leagues.


Allow me a little rant this morning. For those dads and moms who decide to coach your kids in any sport, please do NOT be THAT parent or THAT coach. Be supportive of your kids, especially when they are 9-10 years old. Do not raise your hands to the heavens every time they don’t swing at a pitch. Do not shake your head or roll your eyes when do swing and miss. Do not turn your back to the field and shake your head when they miss a grounder or fly ball. And for everything holy if your kid, your own child, is crying after the game because you are constantly on him missing balls or overthrowing the pitcher (he was the catcher), you need to stop coaching and stay home from the games. FOREVER. This is little league. This is a rec little league. Not a comp team. This is not the majors or minors or even an automotive league. You are not Joe Torre, Tony LaRussa, or Tommy Lasorda. However, when you act that way you are more like Lou Pinnella (don’t know who he is. Google or YouTube Pinnella temper tantrums you’ll understand). Walking down the third base line to about 10 feet of home plate to distract the pitcher is bush league at best and as a grown man (boy?) you should know better. Constantly berating these boys because you failed as an athlete sometime in your life is not acceptable. I will say this again; THESE ARE BOYS! Not men, not even teenagers playing high school, but BOYS. Most of them are playing there first time in a kid pitch league. What is it about coaches that as soon as the score is being kept, they turn into this? Let the boys enjoy the game. This is a release for most of them. Let them have fun. I know this is a foreign concept in today’s little league but please try to grasp it.


I hope I am not being sanctimonious on this. That is not my intent. I am not perfect either. I am still learning this too. The main point is get to know the boys you are coaching. Different boys respond to different ways of coaching. I have learned in the last three weeks that my own son wants me to shut up while he is pitching or batting. I only tell him words of encouragement but still, he wants me to be quiet. It’s hard for me but I am working on it. I had to learn the hard way to be more encouraging instead of constantly telling him what he did wrong. Focus on the positive and let him know how he can improve, not what he did wrong.

Now last night again I was not perfect. I was muttering under my breath at this other coach and baiting him at times. Instead of letting roll off my back or politely asking him to stop being such a distraction, I sunk to his level. For that I am sorry. Instead of being an example to the boys on how to act, I was part of the problem. This is not sour grapes because we lost. This is not sour grapes because he was constantly distracting my son on the mound. Alex only gave up one hit; walked one, hit two but five of the six outs that happened while he was on the mound were strikeouts. They deserved to win. His kids played hard (because I think they feared the consequences if they didn’t) and were very respectful. They out hit us, out threw us and deserved the win but the boys deserved it, not the coach. Thank you for allowing me this rant. I now return you to your normally scheduled blog.

 

I will have another baseball/laundry story tomorrow to lighten the mood back up.

No comments:

Post a Comment