Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Recap: Ice, Pizza, Coffee, board games, Elsa/Anna, Art, and friends.


Again, a New Year’s resolution has gone to die. It’s been almost three weeks since my last post. Mostly because I have a case of writers block. So when that happens it will be a quick little blip of little observations from the last three weeks.

Midway Ice Castle. 

We took the boys there a couple of weekends ago. Great drive, cool (get it ice) castle, big crowds, long line for an ice slide, HIGH prices for what it was. It was worth saying we went once but not sure I would go again. I appreciate the work and the attention for detail that went into making the castle but, and this is a big BUT: How many flipping times do I need to hear Let It Go. We get it. You made an ice castle just like Elsa (or Anna. I don’t know. I have boys. They saw it twice: their first and last.). It wasn’t the just the original we heard. How many damn variations of the song is there? They put a little How to Train Your Dragon music in there but not enough to offset Elsa (?) saying that the bloody cold doesn’t bother her anyways, while I’m watching people shill out $5 for hot chocolate.

Maxwell’s Pizza. After the Ice Castle (LET IT GO! LET IT GO!) We met some friends for dinner at Maxwell’s in Park City. If you haven’t been. Go now. It’s fantastic. Alex loved it so much he ate half of a pie by himself. When you see the size of the pizza and throw in a couple of Buffalo wings you’ll be impressed. That meal but more importantly the company of great friends more than made up for Olaf (oh he’s the snowman), sorry Anna(Elsa?) singing about being one with wind and sky and not complaining about the cold or being alone.  (Somebody stop me. Dear god. That was three weeks ago and I’ve memorized the lyrics)

Art Fair. The boy’s school had an Art Fair to show off the hard work the students have done up to this point in art and music. That’s Alex’s self-portrait (black hoodie with a red block “U” on the shirt. I’ve never been so proud GO UTES!).

Connors interpretation of a Christmas village.


I always like going to these things. It’s fun to see what they have been working on. Yes they are the next Picasso and Renoir. Thanks for noticing.
We get to skip over Valentine’s DAY! Mandy and I don’t celebrate Valentine’s Day. We get the boys some little chocolates and little gifts but we don’t get other gifts. It’s a Hallmark Holiday. Don’t be seduced by the glitz and glamour of roses and chocolate. It’s a made up holiday. Spend your money on a family activity instead.  Even Anna wouldn’t celebrate this holiday.

Friends. Spent another Saturday night with at a friend’s house. I love that we have friends that we haven’t seen in a couple of months and no matter what we can slip back into the swing of conversations like there was no time apart. We had dinner, gave the kids pie and soda while we played board games, had coffee and talked and laughed. I need more of these nights. So does Elsa apparently. Otherwise she wouldn’t be singing about liking the cold. (Really I need help. PLEASE HELP ME. I can’t STOP).

Finally I want to end on a semiserious note. I rarely get misty or serious here because it’s not me. However, I want to say, be kind to people. I won’t get into the details but there was a moment last week when a random act of kindness brought a smile to our faces and lifted us. It was just a kind word. That was all. It was three words but even now as I write this I get a smile on my face. The person was a stranger but it was the greatest feeling and the exact right time. So remember your actions no matter how small or trivial might have a bigger impact than you realize.

So there it is. A quick little recap in our lives the last couple of weeks. Thank you for reading. Remember to Let It Go!

No comments:

Post a Comment