Saturday, January 23, 2016

Sherlock, Bulgaria and Bat Caves



A small little rant before I get into this week’s two main point. I need sunshine. Not the sun weakly trying to pierce through the light cloud cover. Not a yellowish/orange orb that floats behind the inversion taunting me. We haven’t seen a real sunshine event since about October. Ok, I might be exaggerating a little bit but it’s at least since November. Alas, we are getting more snow this weekend and yes I know we live in a high desert and need it but good night, I need the sun. I have some old man Transition Lenses in one pair eyeglasses. They have transitioned in weeks. Either from out of practice or the transitionsany (I know not a word but it should be) chemical decided it needed work somewhere and headed south. I need that bright blue sky, with that brilliant sunlight that shine’s so brightly off the snow that when you stand on your front porch to breathe in the view, you need sunglasses. Unless the transitionsany part took off. Oh well.

First main point: Alex is awesome. He had a big day last week. First, he played Sherlock Holmes in his school’s Wax Museum presentation.

There were 2-3 kids per station playing the same character. As a visitor to the museum, you would walk up, press a button or insert a key to get the characters to come to life. He would then recite a speech that told you about the character. It was fun and he did great. Then that same afternoon he competed in the school geography bee. He was so excited for the bee that he studied over his Christmas break. Mandy had an app downloaded on the iPad and we scooped up multiple books at the library for him to use. He took 5th out of ten and while he was a little disappointed in himself, his attitude of, “Well, now I know what it’s like and I can be better prepared next year,” was awesome to hear. Congrats buddy.
Takes after his old man! Ok and Mandy too. I wouldn’t have been that optimistic at that age, ok or at my age now. Either way we are proud of his accomplishment but even more so of his attitude.

Second main point. Musashi. It is a Midori Sriracha sauce that is great on pizza or just about anything else you can think of. It will change your life if you like hot sauces. Flippin amazing!

Moving on.

Boys at the age of 8 years old have many loves; video games, ice cream, Star Wars, Marvel, Batman, Superman( I refuse to just say DC Comics. Batman is the greatest superhero of all time but Marvel overall is a better lineup. Don’t agree? Plead your case and I might listen), soccer, Star Wars, Batman, ice cream, baseball, Nerf guns, those infernal Legos and the such. Connor is no exception. He has a Manchester United fathead on his wall. He loves Batman. We have not let him watch the Dark Knight series yet but I think he is counting down the days until he can. His world is going to be drastically different when he turns 13. Ice cream is another matter however. He doesn’t love ice cream, he tolerates it. If we go to DQ, he gets a smoothie. If we go to Baskin Robbins, he goes for the Daiquiri Ice. It’s who he is and it’s awesome. This Connorism happened a few months ago after we had a trip to the DQ. He and I shared a love for the peanut butter cookie dough blizzard they had. I think he liked it because it was the only blizzard that had Jurassic World on the side of it all summer. When we arrived home with our ice cream, Alex disappeared while the rest of us sat in the kitchen. Connor kept making vroom and whee-ee-ee and whoosh noises while he ate. The occasional explosion or crash would take place but the sounds would invariably end after the ice cream enter his mouth. After, a few minutes of this, I asked him why the sounds. “Just opening the Bat Cave, Papa. What did it sound like?” The emphasis was on the “What did it sound like.” I took it more of a, “Duh Dad. Bat Cave. Duh.” And then he just continued to eat away like I hadn’t asked.

No comments:

Post a Comment