Thursday, October 2, 2014

It was Rapunzel's Fault


I don’t usually condone violence, in fact unless it’s sticking up for yourself or family or whacking a car “with some stadiums seats because she almost hit you as you walked across a crosswalk then it’s acceptable but not necessary. Connor is another story.

Connor loves to rough house. Alex and I are the targets of drive by tackle hugs, (Mandy being Mom is exempt from these. He learned that lesson on his own) frequently. They don’t hurt and he’s not being mean, he just loves to rough house it up. One of his favorite activities is to climb up my back (while I’m sitting), sit on my shoulders, and then fall back or slide off my back. This was cute and fun when he was 3-5 but at a healthy 7 age, it’s beginning to wear thin. “No wrestling on the couch” and “Connor stop tackling your brother” are heard almost on a daily basis here. The cost of having two boys fairly close in ages I guess. I think back to what my brother and I used to do in the house at that age and it’s not so bad. Homemade basketball hoops(inside), jumping from landing to landing as we came down the stairs,  mini-hockey games with racquetballs and the mini-hockey sticks we would get from the Golden Eagles games. There were more than one broken vases or holes in the wall as we grew up. As I enter this phase with our two boys I only have one thing to say: “Mom I’m sorry.”

All of this has a point. Last week Connor received some news. His Aunt came over to drop the news that she was getting married. This is Connor and his reaction was, well, Connor. “I am so excited. I’m going to knock myself out. Someone hand me a frying pan.” Now I wasn’t home for this exchange. Mandy relayed this to me later that evening. After laughing and shaking my head I started to think of where this could have come from. They don’t watch Looney Tunes. They used to watch Tom & Jerry and their Grandparents house (Classic love the cat and mouse), but they haven’t watch that in over a year. Then a thought hit me like a, well a frying pan: DISNEY. Tangled. He loved that movie. The girl with the frying pan, then the horse using it and then at the end when the whole Royal Guard has to start using them, yup I blame Disney.

 

 

PS Those last two lines were sarcasm. Please don’t tell Walt or his offspring.

No comments:

Post a Comment